Students’ age range: 12-14
Topic: The Internet
Description: • Teacher presents the following question as a springboard for the lesson: Which social media platform is your favorite? Why?
• Teacher guides the ensuing oral discussion as students provide responses to the stimuli questions.
• Teacher provides website for the reading passage and asks students to find the passage using their electronic device.
• Teacher instructs students to read and complete the cloze passage in pairs.
• Whole class discussion of passage follows
• Students are placed in small groups and instructed to identify the pros and cons of using the internet, writing their responses in a pros and cons grid (PCG) template provided by the teacher. Teacher instructs students on how to use the PCG.
• Students work on developing the PCG in small groups.
• After students have developed the grid they are invited to share their views and reasons with the class, and identify the major arguments as compared to the minor arguments.