Media Center

Press Release

Joint Communiqué of the OAS General Secretariat and the LGBTTTI & TS Coalition Commemorating International Transgender Day of Remembrance

  November 20, 2023

Today, November 20, in recognition of "Trans Day of Remembrance", we reflect on the grave violence and discrimination faced by trans people in Latin America and the Caribbean. The data compiled in the latest report of the Latin American and Caribbean Network of Trans People (RedLacTrans) for 2022, entitled "Persecuted in Democracy: undocumented, excluded and marginalized by governments", are alarming and highlight the urgency of addressing the ongoing terror faced by LGBTQ+ people.

According to the report, 84% of countries in our region continue to violate the Inter-American Court of Human Rights' 24/17 Advisory Opinion, which provides a legal framework for countries to regulate gender identity. This lack of legal recognition and respect for gender identity directly contributes to the discrimination and violence that trans people face daily.

Another disturbing fact is that 54% of trans people in the region have been victims of discrimination, intimidation, or threats, while the remaining 46% have suffered even more cruel forms of violence, including murders, kidnappings, beatings, physical assaults, sexual abuse and illegal detentions. 32% of these cases are transfemicides, reflecting an alarming level of gender-motivated violence.

In addition, it is particularly noteworthy and unsettling that 28 per cent of the perpetrators of these acts of violence are public officials, health providers, education system personnel and members of the armed forces. This highlights the urgent need to sensitize, educate, and empower these sectors to ensure respect for the human rights of trans people.

The data reveals that 50.4% of incidents of violence occurred on public roads, demonstrating the vulnerability of trans people in public spaces. In addition, 47% of incidents occurred in sex work areas, underscoring the need to protect the labour rights and safety of trans sex workers.

On Trans Day of Remembrance, we call on governments to take concrete steps to address this crisis of violence and discrimination suffered by trans people in the region. It is essential that public policies and laws are implemented in a comprehensive manner. It is imperative that they recognize and protect the rights of trans people, that public officials are trained, and that education and awareness are promoted in society to fight prejudice and transphobia.

We call for a joint commitment to continue to center and defend the rights of trans people in Latin America and the Caribbean. On this Trans Day of Remembrance, we remember that the struggle for equality and non-violence must include all people, regardless of their gender identity. It is our hope that we can work together with other actors to bring about real and lasting change in our society.

Reference: E-078/23