Record of victims: Death due to injuries to the body

According to information recorded by the IACHR, the vast majority of deaths in the context of the crisis in Nicaragua occurred as a result of gunfire against the civilian population carrying out protest actions, which occurred in the context of repressive actions carried out by the National Police and para-police groups.

As shown in the following graph, of the 355 deaths recorded by the IACHR, 70% died as a result of gunshot wounds to the skull, neck, and thorax. The other 30% of the victims died as a result of different types of injuries, such as traffic accidents, bladed weapons, crushing, convulsions, electroshock, strangulation, lack of oxygen, traumatic injury, impact from mortar fire, polytrauma, and burns.