Article 4 of the “Document
of Washington” establishes the functions of the REMJA as follows:
- Act as a hemispheric forum for information and experience sharing, public
policy coordination, and consolidation and strengthening of cooperation in the
areas of responsibility of the authorities who participate in these meetings.
- Formulate recommendations to the OAS member states in order to ensure that
the public policies and cooperation measures they adopt in the areas of
responsibility of the authorities who take part in the REMJA are increasingly
effective, efficient, and expeditious.
- Follow up on their recommendations and, to that end, and as necessary,
assign specific mandates to working groups or technical meetings, which shall
submit reports to the REMJA on progress in the pursuit of said mandates
between its meetings.
- Continue to follow up and to authorize the furtherance of work under
mandates currently in progress, which are the subject of recommendations from
REMJA meetings held prior to the approval by REMJA of this document.
- Promote strengthening of coordination and cooperation between the REMJA
and other OAS organs, agencies, entities and mechanisms and, to that end,
formulate recommendations and follow up on them to the extent they deem
- Promote and facilitate coordination and collaboration between the REMJA
and other international cooperation processes in the areas of responsibility
of authorities who take part in the REMJA.
- Discharge its duties in relation to the Justice Studies Center of the
Americas (JSCA) in accordance with their respective statutes, rules of
procedure, and provisions that reform, supplement, or develop them.
- Such other functions as may be necessary to improve and consolidate
information and experience sharing, public policy coordination, and
consolidation and strengthening of international cooperation in the areas of
responsibility of the authorities who participate in the REMJA.