Secretary – G05
|Type of Appointment:||Series A - Short Term|
|Duration of Contract:||12 months|
|Secretary/Department/Off.:||The Exec. Secretariat of the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights|
|Duty Station:||US - Washington D.C.|
|Job Family:||Human Rights Commission|
|Job Category:||General Services|
|Employment Schedule:||Full time|
|# of Openings:||1|
Annual Basic Salary (net of taxes):
Annual Post Adjustment (net of taxes):
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Type in its final form correspondence, reports, memos, e-mails, facsimiles, etc. to follow up and implement all legal action related with cases of countries assigned, in the four official languages of the OAS. The correspondence pertaining to cases and urgent measures must be processed in a very careful and timely fashion in order to ensure compliance with deadlines and avoid mistakes.
• Upload and keep updated all the information regarding the cases and precautionary and provisional measures before the Commission and the Inter-American Court of Human Rights with respect to the countries assigned; this requires knowledge of each of the steps of the different procedural stages of the IACHR and the Court.
• Organize and update corresponding files. Keep a complete and updated list of national authorities, NGOs and individual petitioners. Provide general information requested by supervisors, governments, and human rights organizations. Advise Specialists and Secretariat authorities on status of the documentation.
• Organize and prepare all logistical arrangements for on-site and working visits and other official missions by Commissioners and human rights specialists; when instructed, participate in such visits and provide all support work.
• Cooperate in other tasks as assigned by the Executive Secretary. Perform other related duties as assigned
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Essential: High school or technical/commercial training and five years of relevant experience in administrative operations and/or secretarial work OR advanced training and three years of relevant experience.
COMPUTER SKILLS: Ability to effectively work using Microsoft Office (e.g. Outlook, Word, and Excel) and software applicable to the area of work.
Essential – Proficient in at least two of the following languages: English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish (read, write and communicate). Language proficiency examination will be required.
Desirable – Working knowledge of the other two languages.
PERSONAL COMPETENCIES: Client Orientation, Knowledge Sharing, Teamwork, Interpersonal Skills. Ability to clearly communicate in the languages required for the post.
The GS/OAS embraces equality, diversity and inclusion. Thus, the GS/OAS, in accordance with its rules and regulations, is committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, achieving a diverse staff, and will take into account a wide geographic representation, as well as gender equity and equality, in the selection of candidates.