The Form for the Presentation of Scholarship Proposals must be completed in its entirety before exiting the site or submitting the form. The information you enter can be saved as you are working on it during this session. However, information cannot be saved for another session before the form is submitted. We strongly suggest that you print a blank application form, prepare the narrative information in a separate Word document which you can copy and paste into the on-line form. Once you access and open the form, it can remain open (without exiting or submitting it) indefinitely, so you will have time to fill out the form and check your information before submitting it. No changes will be permitted after you submit the form.
Professional Development Scholarship Program
Invitation for the presentation of scholarship proposals (for participation in professional development programs offered in 2013)
The Department of Human Development, Education and Culture of the General Secretariat of the Organization of American States (OAS) is pleased to invite OAS Member States, OAS Permanent Observers, regional and international organizations, public and private agencies, philanthropic and commercial institutions, institutes of higher learning, and other areas of the General Secretariat to participate in its 2013 Professional Development Scholarship Program cycle.
The Professional Development Scholarship Program offers opportunities to citizens of OAS Member States to expand or refresh their professional expertise in areas of specialization related to the areas for action, as outlined in the Strategic Plan for Partnership for Integral Development 2006-2009, which has been extended to December 31st, 2012, through AG/RES 2641-(XLI-O/11).
OAS Member States have approved the following areas for action:
- Social Development and Creation of Productive Employment
- Economic Diversification and Integration, Trade Liberalization and Market Access
- Scientific Development and Exchange and Transfer of Technology
- Strengthening of Democratic Institutions
- Sustainable Development of Tourism
- Sustainable Development and the Environment
In compliance with the Manual of Procedures for the Scholarship and Training Programs of the Organization of American States all course offers are submitted to the Professional Development Course Selection Committee, whose members are appointed by the OAS Secretary General.
The courses offered shall be selected based on the following criteria and budgetary availability:
a. the objectives and areas for action of the Strategic Plan and the priorities established by CEPCIDI;
b. the training priorities of the OAS member states;
c. the credentials of the host institution and of the program experts;
d. the level of demand for the course;
e. the course evaluation in those instances where the course has been previously selected for OAS scholarships;
f. geographic and linguistic distribution among offering institutions; and
g. duration and cost-benefit of the course.
Please be advised that:
- All the required fields in the “Form for the Presentation of Scholarship Proposals” need to be completed;
- Incomplete forms / documents will not be considered by the Course Selection Committee;
- The Schedule for the 2013 Professional Development Scholarship Program http://www.oas.org/en/scholarships/2013_PDSP.pdf should be taken into consideration when submitting scholarship proposals;
- Offering institutions whose courses are selected will be requested to sign a Letter of Agreement with the GS/OAS DHDEC to set the basis of mutual cooperation.
After the Professional Development Course Selection Committee has selected the courses for which joint PD scholarships will be offered in the 2013 Professional Development Scholarship Program cycle, the OAS Department of Human Development, Education and Culture will publish the scholarships announcements inviting eligible candidates to compete for the respective training and scholarship opportunities.
Please be advised that:
- Offering institutions should approve the draft text of the course announcement for Professional Development Scholarship opportunities no later than 3 days after DHDEC sends it to the course coordinator, in order for DHDEC to publish the announcement well within the timetable for submission of applications;
Selection of scholarship awardees
Please be advised that according to Article 6 of the OAS Scholarships Manual of Procedures:
- No OAS scholarship shall be awarded to an individual for participation in professional development courses offered by any institution located in the OAS member state which sponsored the individual for an OAS scholarship.
- An OAS Scholarship may be awarded to an individual for study by distance education where the individual remains in the sponsoring OAS member state for all or most of his/her distance education studies, if the distance education program is offered by an institution not located in the sponsoring member state.
The OAS scholarships shall be granted based on the following criteria:
a. the objectives and priorities established in the Strategic Plan for Partnership for Integral Development 2006-2009, extended to December 2012;
b. the training priorities of the member states;
c. the merits and overall credentials of the candidate, including his/her academic and professional background;
d. the financial need of the candidate; and
e. An extensive and equitable geographic distribution for the benefit of all Member states and that takes into account the greater needs of the smaller and relatively less developed economies.
Professional Development scholarships are awarded through a competitive selection by the Ad-Hoc Professional Development Scholarship Selection Committee. This Committee will be composed of one representative appointed by the institution that is offering the Professional Development Scholarship course, (i.e., usually the course coordinator), and two representatives of the General Secretariat who are appointed by the Secretary General. The offering institution may be represented by a staff member of the Permanent Mission of the OAS Member State where the offering institution is located, if the offering institution so agrees in writing. It is the responsibility of the training institution to provide the OAS with the general requirements for each course and, if applicable, those of a specific nature that candidates should also meet.
The Professional Development Scholarship Program is a cost-sharing program between the OAS and Governments of Member States, Permanent Observer States, regional and international organizations, public and private agencies, philanthropic and commercial institutions, or institutes of higher learning in OAS Member or Observer States.
Financing is often the decisive factor in making high-impact, professional development training accessible to qualified candidates. OAS Professional Development Scholarships are financed as follows:
- Where on-site attendance is required, the OAS provides round trip tickets (economy class) and logistical support for international travel to and from the country of residence to the training site.
- In the case of distance learning programs, the OAS covers 50% of the tuition.
- For the onsite courses, the offering institution and/or sponsoring Member or Observer State cover(s) the costs of registration, tuition, books and/or materials, local transportation, room and board, and health and accident insurance coverage.
- The sponsoring institution of the scholarship recipient or the scholarship recipient provides, where required, additional costs associated with in-transit expenses (i.e. room, board and local transportation during overnight stays).
Benefits of the Program
These unique training and educational opportunities help to meet the development needs of OAS Member States by providing a vital investment in human capital. Participants return to their home countries and pass what they have learned on to others, thus maximizing the benefits of the program. In this way, the Professional Development Scholarship Program helps the Inter-American Council for Integral Development (CIDI) meet the goals embodied in the Strategic Plan for Partnership for Integral Development 2006 -2009, which has been extended to December 31st, 2012, through AG/RES 2641-(XLI-O/11).
We hope you will consider this opportunity to contribute to international cooperation and capacity development in the region. Given the requirement to cover the above mentioned scholarship benefits and in view of the time required to review and select from among the valuable offers received from different countries and institutions, we kindly request that co-financing offers for slots in the courses you have identified for 2013 be submitted to this Department no later than August 31 2012.
We thank you in advance for your scholarship proposal and look forward to a successful partnership with you.
Please contact Lucrecia Zea-Yonker, Professional Development Program Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need more information or if you would like to send additional information with your completed “Form for the Presentation of Scholarship Proposals”.
For your convenience, please click and fill out the “The Form for the Presentation of Scholarship Proposals”. The Form can be accessed at the bottom of the page by clicking on "Continue".
This form must be completed on-line.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: THE SCHOLARSHIPS ARE SUBJECT TO THE AVAILABILITY OF FUNDS CORRESPONDING TO THE 2013 REGULAR BUDGET
If you are ready to fill out the form from beginning to end,
please click the "Continue" button below.