OAS-Western Kentucky University
NOTE TO ALL APPLICANTS TO OAS SCHOLARSHIPS
Step 1 Gather supporting documents
To apply for an OAS – WKU scholarship, the candidate must fill out the OAS online application form and attach the following supporting documentation:
1. ID – scan or photo of passport page that contains the applicant’s full name, date of birth, and country of citizenship.
2. Admission letter – unconditional admission letter to Western Kentucky University.
3. Transcript or record of grades – copy of High School transcript or associate’s degree transcript or transcript from current institution. Transcripts must be translated by a sworn translator if English is not the original language of the transcript.
4. Certificate or Diploma – copy of high school certificate or associate’s degree diploma or letter of enrollment from current institution
5. 2 Recommendation Letters – one of the recommendation letters should be provided by a university professor and the other should be provided by current or most recent employer that includes: the letterhead of the University/Institution, the Professor’s/Employer’s position within the University/Institution, date and signature.
6. Essays – applicants are required to write and include two (2) essays as part of the OAS-WKU online application form and must be written in English. Both essays should be no longer than 2 pages.
Essay No. 1: Describe how acquiring this academic degree will directly impact and enhance your professional skills in your current job position or future career.
Essay No. 2: Explain how you intend to apply the acquired knowledge and experience in the specific field of study that you will pursue to the development of your country or region.
7. Curriculum vitae – in English and no specific format is required. Do not include copies of diplomas, certificates or awards; only include text.
8. Proof of English Proficiency, if applicable – students whose native language is not English will be required to submit one of the following as proof of English proficiency:
- copy of an official transcript verifying completion of studies in an English speaking university in the last five years;
- A test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a score of 570 or higher for the paper based test, 230 for computer-based test, or an internet-based TOEFL (IBT) score of at least 89;
- IELTS 6.5, or the equivalent
9. Proof of Additional Funds – proof that you have sufficient funds to cover remaining tuition and fees and other costs not covered by the scholarship by including one, or a combination, of the following documents with your scholarship application:
- a copy of a rental agreement on property showing you as the property owner;
- a copy of a bank statement or bank letter;
- a letter from an employer showing a monthly or yearly salary;
- a letter showing a student loan or additional scholarship(s), grants, financial aid.
- All documents must be in English or officially translated to English by a certified translator.
- The date stated on the TOEFL or IELTS certificate must be within two years of your proposed start date.
- Applicants can also apply for the Rowe Fund which is an educational loan program of the OAS that helps citizens from Latin America and the Caribbean to finance their studies in accredited universities across the US by awarding interest-free loans of up to US$15,000 dollars.
- The recommendation letters provided for admission consideration to the University can be used for scholarship consideration. However, if you choose to provide new recommendation letters directly to the OAS, the letters should be addressed to the OAS Scholarship and Training Programs, Department of Human Development, Education and Employment.
Step 2 Apply online
Applicants must complete and submit the OAS-WKU Online scholarship Application Form, and upload all the required documents listed above and both essays in one (1) single PDF file (no larger than 5MB). If the file is larger than 5MB, you will be unable to summit the online form. The application system does not allow for more than one document to be uploaded. Do not include any additional documents besides those indicated above.
Click continue below to begin the application.