Promoting Innovation: Intellectual Property and Technology Commercialization Licensing Academy
NOTE TO ALL APPLICANTS TO OAS SCHOLARSHIPS
PLEASE READ BEFORE STARTING
The application must be completed in its entirety before exiting the site or submitting the form. The information you enter can be saved as you are working on it during this session. However, information cannot be saved for another session before the application is submitted. We strongly suggest that you print a blank application form, prepare the narrative information in a separate Word document which you can copy and paste into the on-line application form, and fill out the other data by hand on the application form before you begin to fill out the form on line. Once you access and open the form, it can remain open (without exiting or submitting it) indefinitely, so you will have time to fill out the form and check your information before submitting it. No changes will be permitted after you submit the form.
This application must be completed on-line.
Professional Development Scholarships Program
Promoting Innovation: Licensing Academy in Intellectual Property and Technology Commercialization
1. Place of Study: University of California, Davis. International Law Programs, UC Davis Extension, 1333 Research Park Dr. Davis, California, 95618-4852, USA. Tel: (530) 752-2705. Web page: http://www.law.ucdavis.edu/prospective/international-program/licensing-academy.html
2. Coordinators of the course:
· César Parga, Department of Economic and Social Development, Organization of American States (OAS). Tel. (202) 3705421, E-Mail: email@example.com
· Monica Alandete-Saez, Director of Analysis & Educational Outreach, PIPRA, UC DAVIS. Tel: (530) 752-2705. Fax: (530) 752-2278. E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Modality of the course: Onsite
4. Start and end dates of the course: June 22nd, to July 3rd, 2015
5. Duration of the course: Twelve (12) days
6. Language of Instruction: English
7. Course Objective: To provide participants with the fundamentals on how to protect and manage intellectual property to support technology commercialization in the public sector or among small to medium size enterprises.
8. Course Content: U.S. and international IP protection, IP management for commercialization, licensing, IP issues in negotiating an international agreement, institutional IP Policies, managing IP and technology transfer offices, start-ups and spin-offs from public sector institutions.
9. Eligibility requirements:
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of an OAS member state./ (Residents must send in a copy of their visa); with the exception of the United States of America since is the host country.
- To hold a university degree in law, international affairs, engineering, life sciences, or economics;
- Participants must have responsibilities in public, private, academia on tech transfer, intellectual property, agriculture, life sciences, international trade and innovation, with at least two (2) years of professional experience;
- Recommendation of Employer-Supporting Institution indicating that the candidate's application is supported by a public, private or academic institution, that the candidate is qualified to undertake a high-level training program in the English language, and their support and commitment for the candidate to return and apply the knowledge acquired during the program;
- The candidate's application should include a Statement of Study and Development Objectives explaining the reasons for which he/she should be considered as a candidate for the program and for the scholarship; Both forms can be found at: http://www.oas.org/es/becas/PDSP/Formularios_becas_PDSP.pdf
- Preference will be given to those candidates from smaller economies;
Notice: If you were awarded an OAS Professional Development Scholarship in the past twelve (12) months or if you currently hold an OAS Scholarship for Academic Studies, you are not eligible to apply for another Professional Development Scholarship.
10. Scholarships Benefits: The Department of Human Development and Education of the OAS will cover round trip economy class airline tickets from country of origin or residence to place of study. Funds for terminal and in-transit expenses are NOT provided
Based on need, country of origin and availability of funds, offering institutions will offer scholarships.
In addition to air travel (round trip airline ticket), the Department of Economic and Social Development of the OAS will cover tuition fee, accommodation (13 thirteen nights in shared double-room, including breakfast), and partial per diem.
Insurance for emergency medical expenses, emergency medical evacuation, repatriation of remains, and emergency medical meetings.
Scholarship recipients will be responsible for all other expenses, including airport transfers, meals not provided during the program and incidentals.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: THESE SCHOLARSHIPS ARE SUBJECT TO THE AVAILABILITY OF FUNDS CORRESPONDING TO THE 2015 REGULAR BUDGET
11. OAS Scholarship Selection Criteria: In accordance with article 4.2 of the Manual of Procedures of the Scholarship and Training Programs of the OAS, OAS scholarships shall be granted based on the following criteria:
- The objectives and priorities established in the Strategic Plan for Partnership for Development;
- The training priorities of the member states;
- The merits and overall credentials of the candidate, including his/her academic and professional background;
- The financial need of the candidate; and
- An extensive and equitable geographic distribution for the benefit of all member states and that takes into account the greater needs of the smaller and relatively less developed economies.
12. Responsibilities of the scholarships recipients:
- In order to become scholarship recipients, the selected candidates must confirm their acceptance of the scholarship by signing and returning to the Department of Human Development and Education-DHDE- their completed “form of acceptance of the scholarship award”;
- If after accepting the scholarship, the scholarship recipient for whatever reason cannot attend the course, he or she must immediately notify the Department of Human Development and Education, of the OAS;
- Scholarship recipients must communicate in writing to the OAS/DHDE on which dates they will be able to travel no later than May 27, 2015, so the OAS can make the necessary travel arrangements.
- Scholarship recipients are responsible for obtaining the necessary visa(s) to enter the country of study and the corresponding transit(s). The OAS will not be responsible for any costs related to obtaining visas or transfer documentation;
- Each scholarship recipient is responsible for arriving on time for the commencement of activities on the date established by the institution offering the course or program;
- If the scholarship recipient declines the scholarship, (after the ticket has been purchased without written authorization from the Department of Human Development and Education of the OAS or fails to travel on the scheduled dates, or changes routes) the scholarship recipient will be responsible for paying the cost of the airfare or whatever additional cost is incurred;
- If the scholarship recipient fails to travel on the scheduled dates, or change routes, after the General Secretariat of the Organization of American States (GS/OAS) has purchased his/her travel ticket, he/she will be responsible for paying the difference in ticket costs in order to arrive at the course site on time; and
- The scholarship recipient will furthermore have to reimburse the total cost of the airfare for his/her travel from his/her country of residence to the site where the Professional Development Course will take place and back if, after the ticket has been purchased, he/she declines the scholarship without written authorization from the Department of Human Development and Education of the OAS. The latter includes any additional costs, incurred by the GS/OAS, such as extra costs for accommodation during the scholarship recipient’s travel to and from the country where the course will be held
- Selected candidates must confirm their acceptance to the OAS Coordinator of the course, Cesar Parga (email@example.com), and Cristina Rechy (firstname.lastname@example.org) from the OAS Department of Economic and Social Development.
13. Submission of applications:
- Select the course “Licensing Academy in Intellectual Property and Technology Commercialization” by clicking http://www.oas.org/en/scholarships/professionaldev.asp
- After reading the course information fully, click "Continuar/Continue" at the end of the page 5
- Fill out the application form.
- After filling out the application form, click "Enviar/Send”.
- A copy of the application form will be automatically sent to your email address.
- Print and sign the application form sent to your email.
- Submit the signed form and the documents stipulated in the announcement, along with the Professional Development Scholarship Forms and Documents http://www.oas.org/es/becas/PDSP/Formularios_becas_PDSP.pdf to the National Liaison Office (ONE) of your country. http://www.oas.org/es/becas/programaregular/one.asp
- Submit a copy of all the documents to the OAS Coordinator of the course Cesar Parga (email@example.com), and Cristina Rechy (firstname.lastname@example.org) from the OAS Department of Economic and Social Development.
Any questions regarding submission of applications for this course should be sent to: PDSP@oas.org
 The General Secretariat of the Organization of American States (“GS/OAS”) reserves the right to cancel this scholarship announcement at any time. Moreover, the OAS, GS/OAS, and its personnel are not liable for any actions taken in reliance on or otherwise based upon information in this announcement.
.The OAS Professional Development Scholarships Program will defray up to US$1,350.00 for round trip air fare between member states.
 The OAS Department of Economic and Social Development will defray up to US$500.00 for per diem compensation for all the duration of the course.
If you are ready to fill out the application form from beginning to end,
please click the "Continue" button below.