Internet Protocols and Services
NOTE TO ALL APPLICANTS TO OAS SCHOLARSHIPS
PLEASE READ BEFORE STARTING
The application must be completed in its entirety before exiting the site or submitting the form. The information you enter can be saved as you are working on it during this session. However, information cannot be saved for another session before the application is submitted. We strongly suggest that you print the blank application form; prepare the narrative information in a separate Word document which you can copy and paste into the on-line application form, and fill out the other data by hand on the application form before you begin to fill out the form on line. Once you access and open the form, it can remain open (without exiting or submitting it) indefinitely, so you will have time to fillout the form and check your information before submitting it. No changes will be permitted after you submit the form.
This application must be completed on-line.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM “Internet Protocols and Services”
1) Study venue: Universidad Blas Pascal, Argentina Tel. (54-351) 414-4444; Fax (54-351) 414-4400
2) Offered by: Universidad Blas Pascal node of the Center of Excellence for the Americas of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU).
· Néstor Pisciotta: Tel. (54-351) 414-4444; Fax (54-351) 414-4400; Email: [email protected]
· Melba Lucía de Reyes: Tel: (504) 220-6666, Fax: (504) 220-1197. E-mail: [email protected]
4) Modality: Distance – Assisted
5) Start and end dates: September 7 to December 7, 2009
6) Course duration: The student has access to the course for 90 days. Please see the methodology for the course for more information.
7) Language: Spanish/English
8) General Objectives:
- To understand the basic technical principles allowing data communications among computers to assemble public and private networks.
- To expose the conceptual technical features of the different protocols used in computer systems, LAN, MAN, WAN, private and public networks, to be applied to data and digital signal transmission.
- To dig into technical details of the protocols most used nowadays, to analyze their comparative advantages and to offer a view on their trends.
- To describe the main protocol based Internet services available nowadays so that high level applications can use them in e-business like architectures
9) Specific Objectives:
· To analyze the network layer features such as virtual circuits, datagrams, and the internet protocol. To understand the network interconnection through routers.
· To discuss IPv4 limitations and workarounds. To present IPv6 implementations.
· To understand the functionality of transmission control protocols like TCP and UDP.
· To explore the real time transfer protocols like RTP and the real time control protocol RTCP.
· To present the most used electronic mail services like SMTP and MIME, analyzing their features and messages structure.
· To analyze network management protocols like SNMP, describing their general principles and the details of their messages.
· To describe the information transfer protocols like HTTP, discussing their different operation schemes, and the details of their messages.
· To evaluate the different techniques available to transmit multimedia services on Internet. In particular, to explore the protocols H.323, H.225 y H.245 and the session initialization protocol SIP.
10) Methodology: This is a self-paced online study method. On enrolling, participants access a very easy-to-browse e-learning platform. There they will find all course content, study materials, and tests. The course may be accessed for up to 90 days.
· There is an online help desk to assist participants with the necessary technical and administrative steps during the course (Hours: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. GMT +3). The course includes activities to evaluate mastery of the course content.
· These include self-correctable tests that may be retaken as many times as necessary. At the end of the course, if the participants pass the final exam, they may print from the e-learning platform a Universidad Blas Pascal certificate of successful course completion. If they wish, prospective participants may see a demonstration of how the course will be conducted by following the link: http://uit.ubp.edu.ar/demo/ For English: http://uit.ubp.edu.ar/demo/en/
· Citizenship or permanent residence of an OAS Member State, with the exception of the Argentina since is the host country.
· Dirigido a: Operations and technology managers, R & D managers, network managers, government officials, engineers of network technical/operation areas of government agencies and regulatory bodies, and heads of division or similar posts interested in refreshing and deepening their knowledge of Internet.
· At least two years’ experience in the area of study.
· The request should include an e-mail. Requests that do not include an e-mail will not be considered.
· A health certificate is not required.
· Submission of completed application form by the deadline set by the National Liaison Organization (ONE). It is the candidate’s responsibility to ascertain the deadline set by the ONE in his or her country of residence
12) OAS Scholarship Selection Criteria: In accordance with article 4.2. of the Manual of Procedures of the Scholarship and Training Programs of the OAS, OAS scholarships shall be granted based on the following criteria:
· The objectives and priorities established in the Strategic Plan for Partnership for Development;
- The training priorities of the member states;
- The merits and overall credentials of the candidate, including his/her academic and professional background;
- The financial need of the candidate; and
- An extensive and equitable geographic distribution for the benefit of all member states and that takes into account the greater needs of the smaller and relatively less developed economies.
The CITEL/OAS will cover the complete registration fee of the selected candidates.
- The selected candidates must confirm their acceptance to the OAS General Secretariat Office in their respective countries and through the ONE in order for the OAS to proceed with making the necessary arrangements or, if the scholarship is refused, to appoint another candidate.
- The selected candidates must confirm their acceptance of the scholarship by signing and returning to DHD their completed “form of acceptance of the scholarship award”; that the OAS Department of Human Development will send to their e-mails.
- Upon selection, candidates must accept the scholarship by confirming their availability to follow the course during the period indicated and their acceptance of the duly provided conditions of study.
- If the fellow declines, cancel or terminates the Scholarship after the course or program has started without giving enough proof to the OAS/GS, he or she must reimburse OAS/GS the total amount of incurred costs/expenses.
- In the event a selected candidate accepts the scholarship and then, for good reason, is unable to follow the course, he or she must so inform the Department of Human Development immediately so that it may decide what actions to take.
15) Certification: The participants can print the certificate on line after finishing the course with the endorsement of the Universidad Blas Pascal.
16) Presentation of Candidacies:
The online application form must be completed on-line and can be accessed at: http://www.educoas.org/portal/en/oasbecas/online.aspx?culture=en&navid=282; here you’ll find the announcements of all the online courses, click in the one you are interested in, go though the end of the page, and then you’ll find the Continue button which will direct you to the online application form.
Once the applicant has completed the online application form and submitted it, a copy will be sent automatically to his/her e-mail account. This completed form must be printed, signed and submitted to the National Liaison Office (ONE) with all other forms (http://www.educoas.org/portal/en/oasbecas/formspd.aspx?culture=en&navid=282) that must be completed electronically or in typewritten format.
The following is the list of National Liaison Organizations (ONEs) in the OAS Member states: http://www.educoas.org/portal/en/oasbecas/ones.aspx?culture=en&navid=282
Any questions regarding submission of applications for this course should be sent to: [email protected]
IMPORTANT NOTICE: THESE SCHOLARSHIPS ARE SUBJECT TO THE AVAILABILITY OF FUNDS CORRESPONDING TO THE 2009 REGULAR BUDGET
LZea-Yonker/Internet Protocol and Services/CITEL/Online/Inglés/2009
If you are ready to fill out the application form from beginning to end,
please click the "Continue" button below.