Science, Media and Society
OAS Department of Human Development
Professional Development Scholarship Program
Science, Media and Society
1) Study Venue: SciDev.Net Latin America and The Caribbean, the National Institute for Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology of Trinidad and Tobago (NIHERST), The Cropper Foundation, Caribbean Council on Science and Technology (CCST), and Network for the Popularization of Science and Technology in Latin America and the Caribbean (Red-POP). Address: 43-45 Woodford Street, Port of Spain, Trinidad.
Luisa Massarani – ScieDev.net (email@example.com)
3) Dates of the course: 24-25 November, 2008
4) Modality: Onsite
5) Length of the course: Two (2) days
6) Language: English
- Main Objectives: To stimulate the debate in the region on science and society, mainly considering the Caribbean context. To explore practical ways to improve the communication of science and technology by stimulating discussion on how to build resources and institutional capacity, both on a national and a regional basis.
- Secundary objectives: To promote visibility of local science and technology. To stimulate the networking among individuals and organizations.
8) Program: Plenary sessions with invited presentations, exploring the relationship between science, media and society.
9) Requirements of the course:
· Citizenship or permanent residence of an OAS Member State, with the exception of Trinidad and Tobago since it is the host country.
· Target Group: Science journalists, scientists, science communication practitioners and researchers, and policy makers.
· Be professionals engaged in one or more aspects of the communication of science
· At least one year of experience on science communication
· Be working in: university research departments; academies of science; newspaper, radio or television organizations (both as journalists and editors); government departments requiring access to scientific information; science policy institutions seeking to influence government decision-makers; international scientific organizations; non-governmental organizations operating in related fields; scientific donor organizations; science and technology network organizations.
· To be multipliers in their own countries
- Have command of both spoken and written English. Where English is not the first language, the applicant must present a certificate or evidence of competence in English.
- Provide certificate of good health from a physician / Medical Doctor
· Submission of completed application form by the deadline set by the National Liaison Organization (ONE). It is the candidate’s responsibility to ascertain the deadline set by the ONE in his or her country of residence
· For successful candidates, DHD/OAS round trip economy class air tickets from country of origin or residence to place of study
· SciDev.Net Latin America and The Caribbean will cover (maximum of US$ 500.00 per person):
1. Room and board
2. Medical service is free but students must pay for any drugs prescribed
11) Responsibilities of selected candidates:
· Upon selection, the candidate must confirm to the Department of Human Development and the Executive Secretariat in their respective countries and through the ONE his/her acceptance of the Fellowship, in order for the OAS to proceed with making the necessary travel arrangements to purchase the air travel tickets, economy class, round-trip, between their country of origin and the study location or, if the scholarship is refused, to appoint another candidate. In the event that a candidate accepts the Fellowship but cannot take the program, for whatever reason, the candidate must immediately advise the OAS Department of Human Development.
· Selected scholarship recipients are responsible for obtaining the necessary visa(s) to enter the country of study and the corresponding transit(s). The OAS will not be responsible for any costs relating to obtaining visas or transfer documentation.
· Each scholarship recipient is responsible for arriving in time for the commencement of activities on the date established by the institution offering the course or program.
· If the scholarship recipient fails to travel on the scheduled dates, or change routes, after the General Secretariat of the Organization of American States (GS/OAS) has purchased his/her travel ticket, he/she will be responsible for paying the difference in ticket costs in order to arrive at the course site in time. The scholarship recipient will furthermore have to reimburse the GS/OAS the total cost of the airfare for his/her travel from his/her country of residence to the site where the Professional Development Course will take place and back if, after the ticket has been purchased, he/she declines the scholarship without written authorization from the Department of Human Development. The latter includes any additional costs, if any, incurred by the GS/OAS, such as extra costs for accommodation during the scholarship recipient’s travel to and from the country where the course will be held.
· If the scholarship recipient renounces, cancels or otherwise terminates the scholarship after the scholarship has begun, without showing sufficient cause to the GS/OAS, he/she will have to reimburse GS/OAS the amount of all scholarship expenses spent on his/her behalf.
12) Presentation of candidacies: OAS scholarship applications must be submitted using the Formulario para Solicitud de Beca de Desarrollo Profesional/ Application Form for Professional Development Scholarship, including all documentation required. Applications must be forwarded to the Organization of American States through the official channels established by the government of each country (ONE). This is a mandatory requirement.
The following is the list of National Liaison Organizations (ONEs) in the OAS Member states: http://www.educoas.org/portal/en/oasbecas/ones.aspx?culture=en&navid=282
Any questions regarding submission of applications for this course should be sent to: PDSP@oas.org
IMPORTANT NOTICE: THESE SCHOLARSHIPS ARE SUBJECT TO THE AVAILABILITY OF FUNDS CORRESPONDING TO THE 2008 REGULAR BUDGET
Maria Levens, Director
Department of Human Development
C.c.: Course Coordinator, Course file
JVanGlaanenweygel/LZea-Yonker/Science, Media and Society/Trinidad and Tobago/2008
 The deadline for presentation of applications to the (ONE) differs from country to country and should therefore be confirmed with the relevant ONE in the applicant's country of origin or permanent residence.
 Funds for terminal and in-transit expenses are NOT provided.
NOTE TO ALL APPLICANTS TO OAS SCHOLARSHIPS
PLEASE READ BEFORE STARTING
The application must be completed in its entirety before exiting the site or submitting the form. The information you enter can be saved as you are working on it during this session. However, information cannot be saved for another session before the application is submitted. We strongly suggest that you print the blank application form (FORM AND LINK HERE), prepare the narrative information in a separate Word document which you can copy and paste into the on-line application form, and fill out the other data by hand on the application form before you begin to fill out the form on line. Once you access and open the form, it can remain open (without exiting or submitting it) indefinitely, so you will have time to fillout the form and check your information before submitting it. No changes will be permitted after you submit the form.
This application must be completed on-line.
If you are ready to fill out the application form from beginning to end,
please click the "Continue" button below.