Students’ age range: 12-14
Main subject: Sciences
Topic: Saving Energy at School
Description: Skit: Paying the light bill- Several students will be given electric bills, one student will have the lowest while others are high. Each student will have the same amount of money allocated to pay the bill. The cashier will call off the amount so the others can hear. The class will observe their responses. In the end, the teacher will ask why their bill was the amount…in other words what actions did they take to have such high bills, and for the lowest bill, what actions did they take to have a low bill. (allow remaining students to give input)
RESEARCH & DEFINE
1) Teacher will give two terms: Energy efficient and Energy conservation, and allow students RESEARCH & DEFINE
1) Working in pairs- using internet, students will find the definition of the two terms, state how they differ in meaning and give an example to support this
1) Teacher will show students images around the home and ask
a) How is energy being used
b) How can energy be conserved or be used more efficiently
As students share their views on energy efficiency, other students are allowed to comment if they agree or disagree with sound reason as to why. Student’s Activities
1) Students will observe images and identify the way in which energy is being used.
2) Additionally students must reason ways in which energy can be conserved or used more efficiently
1) Teacher will show image of homes, businesses, factories and Street lights and ask students to Rank them based on who uses the most energy; they must give a reason for their answer.
Reveal answer at the end and reason Student’s Activities
1) Students will observe the images of homes, businesses, factories and Street lights and in groups of 4 agree on ranking scale based on who they think uses the most energy, they must give a reason for their answer.
1) Teacher will allow students to remain in the same groups of 4 and design a pamphlet, poster, card that informs the public about energy conservation and practices. Student’s Activities
1) In groups of 4 students will design a pamphlet, poster, card that informs the public about energy conservation and practices. Additionally, they must indicate why conserving energy is important.