Students’ age range: 16-18
Main subject: Foreign languages
Topic: Advantages and disadvantages of social networks
Description: • Activity 1: The teacher shows images and pictures on a Prezi presentation. These make reference to technology, in general, and social networks, in particular. The strategy used in this activity is Zoom.
• Activity 2: The teacher asks students questions so as learners brainstorm their ideas about the topic presented.
• Activity 3: Students complete a “Pros and Cons Grid”. The idea is that they work in small groups and think about the advantages and disadvantages of the use of technology and social networks in our society. Later, they share their ideas with the whole group.
• Activity 4: Students complete a KWL chart. They have to think what they “KNOW”, what they “WOULD” like to know, and at the end of the lesson or unit of work, they complete the last column of the chart: what they have “LEARNT”. This activity is carried out on their laptops, they have to use a link on Google Drive which is provided by the teacher.
• Activity 5: Students and teacher watch a video about a girl who was a victim of cyberbullying and grooming. The teacher has a list of questions to guide students so as they have the possibility to reflect on the topic.
• Activity 6: Students work in small groups on a document on Google Drive. Each group has to look for a piece of news or video about a case related to dangers and risks of using social networks. They have to complete a chart which is on the file: case, causes, consequences, actions to be carried out / pieces of advice.