Students’ age range: 12-14
Main subject: Arts education
Topic: Note values, counting and rhytms
Description: 1. Students will review their rhythm chart with their group to refresh the notes/ rests and their values.
2. As a group, students will find rhythms in their band music that uses each of the note/ rest values.
3. As a group, students will discuss within their groups how to count the rhythms.
4. As a group, students will write in their counting method with the rhythm in the rhythm box on the chart.
5. Each group will elect a leader to teach the band how to count the rhythm.
6. Each group will elect a leader to demonstrate how to play the rhythm for the class.
7. Students will be able to apply the information learned to new music and rhythms as they encounter them.