Students’ age range: 10-12
Topic: Critical Thinking in Action
Description: 1. Carry students through a K.W.L activity for students to organize their prior knowledge, thoughts and questions about the topic Using and Saving Energy in the Home and School Environment.
2. Create a KWLchart on the blackboard or an overhead transparency. Ask students to brainstorm words, terms, or phrases they associate with a topic. Record these associations in the “K”column of their charts. This is done until students have exhausted their ideas.
• Begin by brainstorming everything they Know about the topic of Using and Saving Energy in the Home and School Environment. This information is recorded in the K column of a K-W-L chart.
• Brainstorm words, terms, or phrases they associate with the topic. Record these associations in the “K” column of their charts
• Generate a list of questions about what they Want to Know about the topic. These questions are listed in the “W” column of the chart.
• During or after lesson has been completed, students answer the questions that are in the “W” column. This new information that they have Learned is recorded in the “L”column of the K-W-L chart.
3. Ask students what they want to learn about the topic. The teacher and students will record these questions in the W column of their charts. This is done until students run out of ideas for questions. If students respond with statements, turn them into questions before recording them in the “W” column.
4. Students can fill out their “L” columns either during or after lesson is completed