The following recommendations are made to the communities and institutions
in the SJRB or which have responsibilities in the basin:
- Continue investigation of the return rates of extreme
- Institutionalize concern for climate variability
in any institution that suffers its impact.
- Increase local organization to improve the care
and use of the water resource.
- Promote the richness of the basinís natural heritage
to the local populations.
- Undertake campaigns to instill an understanding
of the relationship between climate and life quality in the basin.
- Increase the participation of women and youth in
- Distribute material concerning the possible impacts
of climate variability, and the actions that can be taken in response.
- Gain international cooperation in the efforts of
the basinís population to positively confront the problems of
- Develop vulnerability maps at the level of canton
- Include a response to climate variability in local
- Promote territorial planning with emphasis on the
reduction of disasters caused by extreme climatic events.
- Modernize the files of meteorological information.
- Modernize the tools used for mapping threats from
- Promote and sponsor environmental education programs
for both males and females.
- Secure support from national governments and NGOs
for municipalities and communities to support efforts to reduce
vulnerability and improve disaster response.
- Promote programs of latrine installation.
- Encourage female participation in commissions and
committees that administer water resources.
- Promote and sponsor environmental education programs.
- Organize rural households to properly protect their
own source of water.
- Promote and develop reforestation programs at the
level of small communities and households to protect water quality