- Concerning the impacts of climate variability:
- Most of the basin shows evidence of the impacts of climate
- Extreme meteorological events cause unwanted transboundary
- Extreme meteorological events worsen gender inequity.
- Concerning knowledge and information:
- The Northern Sector of the basin relies more on cultural
beliefs concerning climate variability than the Southern Sector,
which uses weather predictions.
- Citizen participation is the main ingredient for disaster
- Required Strategic Actions:
- Improve citizen understanding of climate variability.
- Prioritize watersheds for management according to their
exposure to climate variability.
- Promote creation of community associations and water committees
that will manage water use.
- Strengthen drought and flood warning systems throughout
- Best practices for coping with climate variability:
- Use improved seed for crops that are adapted to shorter
cycles to benefit farmers. Some varieties are conditioned
to resist both deficit and excess of humidity as well as to
germinate in less time.
- Use organic fertilizers to reduce crop and other residues
that can be washed to water sources by intense rainfall and
- Update legislation relevant to the prevention, mitigation
and monitoring of potential and real disasters.
- When necessary, use the food for work program to help families
affected by drought.
- Promote watershed committees that would care for water sources
during drought, floods or hurricanes.
- Move livestock to areas with better grazing conditions during
periods of drought.
- Treat water with specialized plants.
- Use water-harvesting techniques, especially during periods
of water scarcity.
- Change planting dates according to weather predictions to
take advantage of the best conditions for plant growth.
- Rely on technical weather prediction instead of traditional
methods when planning the cropping cycle.
- Locate water storage tanks at sites having the highest elevation.
- Plant flood and humidity resistant crops
- Reforest and control deforestation around water sources.
- Form water committees to manage water sources and distribution.
- Monitor water quality, chlorinate water, and clean and dirty
pipes, and search for new water sources.