THE SECRETARY GENERAL,
In exercise of the powers conferred upon him by
articles 114 and 118 of the Charter and articles 4, 8, and 11 of the General Standards to
Govern the Operations of the General Secretariat of the Organization of American States,
That, by resolution AG/RES.1063/90, the General
Assembly requested the Secretary General to establish within the General Secretariat a
Unit for Promotion of Democracy.
That the number of personnel will not be increased
nor additional budgetary cost incurred to accomplish this end, at this moment.
1. To create a Unit for Promotion of Democracy which
will have the functions and responsibilities established in this Executive Order.
2. To assign the personnel of the Advisory Group to
the Unit for Promotion of Democracy under the administrative direction of the Secretary
1. Provide a program of support for democratic
development, which can respond promptly and effectively to member states which in the full
exercise of their sovereignty request advice or assistance to preserve or strengthen their
political institutions and democratic procedures.
2. Function as sole program for democratic
development for the General Secretariat.
3. Cooperate with the governments and institutions of
the member states in holding seminars and training programs in the area of democratic
4. Encourage dialogue on democratic principles and
values within the hemisphere.
1. Advise the Secretary General on matters related to
the work of the Unit.
2. Coordinate the relations of the Unit with other
areas of the General Secretariat.
3. Coordinate with other multilateral organizations,
and government and private institutions activities, and missions concerned with democratic
4. Develop inventories and data banks of individuals
and institutions specializing in political studies on democratic systems and institutions
as well as human and material resources for carrying out missions, training, and other
5. Develop standards and procedures for organizing
electoral observation missions.
6. Plan, and coordinate electoral observer missions.
7. Plan, and coordinate courses, seminars, round
tables and training programs to facilitate the exchange of information and expertise in
order to strengthen political institutions and democratic procedures in the member states.
8. Respond to inquiries and requests for information
in the area of democratic development posed by the governing bodies and member states of
III. AMENDMENTS AND REPEALS
This Executive Order supersedes all present norms, regulations and
practices of the General Secretariat to the contrary.
This Executive Order shall take effect on the date on which it is
Joao Clemente Baena Soares
Date: October 15, 1990