G E N E R A L S E C R E T A R I A T
ADMINISTRATIVE MEMORANDUM NO. 77
I. DECISION. By decision of the Secretary General, the following procedures are established for the reviewing and processing of Statements of Connections and of Net Worth (OAS Forms 563-A and B) ("Statements") which are submitted by each staff member who is required to comply with the provisions of Article 115 of the General Standards and with Staff Rule 101.7(d).
1. Executive and Assistant Secretaries, and the Secretary General's Chief of Staff and Deputy Chief of Staff, will submit their Statements to the Secretary General. The Secretary General shall review each Statement for possible conflicts of interest. The Secretary General shall take into account the duties and responsibilities of the individual within the General Secretariat and shall determine whether he believes that the individual has a direct, indirect, or an apparent conflict of interest with the performance of his duties and responsibilities. If the Secretary General believes that such a conflict exists, he shall send the Statement to the Director of the Department of Human Resources (the "DHR") and shall request that the Director refer the matter to the Ethics Committee. All other Statements received by the Secretary General will also be forwarded to the DHR Director for placement in the staff member's file.
2. The Assistant Secretary General's Chief of Staff will submit his Statement to the Assistant Secretary General. The Assistant Secretary General shall review the Statement for possible conflicts of interest, and he shall follow the procedure set forth in paragraph I.1 of this Memorandum.
3. Directors will submit their Statements to the pertinent Executive or Assistant Secretary, or to the Secretary General or Assistant Secretary General where Directors are under the direct supervision of either of them. The Official to whom each such Statement is submitted shall review the Statement for possible conflicts of interest, and he shall follow the procedure set forth in paragraph I.1 of this Memorandum.
4. All other staff members covered by Article 115 of the General Standards and by Staff Rule 101.7(d) will submit their Statement to their Director. Their Director shall review the Statement for possible conflicts of interest, and he shall follow the procedure set forth in paragraph I.1 of this Memorandum.
5. The Reviewing Official shall sign and date each Statement he reviews.
6. Upon receipt of a request for referral to the Ethics Committee pursuant to Paragraphs I.1, I.2, I.3, or I.4 of this Memorandum, the DHR Director shall promptly refer the matter to the Ethics Committee for its consideration.
7. When the Ethics Committee receives a referral from the DHR Director, it shall consider the matter and shall make its recommendations to the Secretary General in accordance with that Committee's Rules of Procedure.
8. The Assistant Secretary for Management is examining possible methods for expediting the Statement review process through the use of electronic processing methods facilitated by the E-mail system. Instructions regarding these methods will be issued when they become operational.
II. REVOCATION OR AMENDMENT. This Administrative Memorandum supersedes all present practices and procedures of the General Secretariat which are in any way to the contrary.
III. EFFECT. This Administrative Memorandum shall take effect on the date on which it is signed.
Date: June 2, 1995