AG/RES. 1952 (XXXIII-O/03)
OBSERVATIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON THE ANNUAL REPORTS OF THE ORGANS, AGENCIES, AND ENTITIES OF THE ORGANIZATION
(Resolution adopted at the fourth plenary session, held on June 10, 2003)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
HAVING SEEN the observations and recommendations of the Permanent Council (AG/doc.4228/03) on the annual reports presented by the following: Inter-American Council for Integral Development (CIDI) (CP/doc.3738/03), the Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture (IICA) (CP/doc.3708/03), the Inter-American Indian Institute (III) (CP/doc.3712/03), the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) (CP/doc.3710/03 and add. 1), the Inter-American Commission of Women (CIM) (CP/doc.3702/03), the Inter-American Telecommunication Commission (CITEL) (CP/doc.3695/03), the Inter-American Drug Abuse Control Commission (CICAD) (CP/doc.3711/03), the Inter-American Children’s Institute (IACI) (CP/doc.3699/03), the Justice Studies Center of the Americas (JSCA) (CP/doc.3713/03), and the Administrative Tribunal (CP/doc.3697/03);
CONSIDERING that the Permanent Council’s observations and recommendations recognize the successful endeavors of the Organization’s organs, agencies, and entities in furtherance of the principles and objectives of the Organization and of the inter-American system;
TAKING INTO ACCOUNT that, in resolution AG/RES. 1883 (XXXII-O/02), the OAS organs, agencies, and entities were instructed to report on “the measures taken to implement the Inter-American Program on the Promotion of Women’s Human Rights and Gender Equity and Equality and to mainstream the gender perspective into their programs, projects, and activities,” to include in their annual reports a section on the quantifiable results obtained, and to include the draft resolutions that they saw fit to transmit to the General Assembly, after consideration by their respective governing bodies or specialists in the area; and
UNDERSCORING that these reports have been submitted in keeping with the provisions of Article 91.f of the OAS Charter,
1. To take note of the observations and recommendations of the Permanent Council on the annual reports and to transmit them to the organs, agencies, and entities of the Organization.
2. To thank the organs, agencies, and entities that complied with the statutory deadline for the presentation of annual reports; and once again to urge all organs, agencies, and entities to include a section on the quantifiable results obtained, in keeping with the provisions of resolution AG/RES. 1909 (XXXII-O/02).
3. To remind all the organs, agencies, and entities of the Organization that annual reports must be submitted by the statutory deadline, which is 90 days prior to the start of regular session of the General Assembly.
4. To urge all the organs, agencies, and entities of the Organization to approve their annual reports, following the procedures applicable for each report, at least 120 days prior to the General Assembly session.
5. To reiterate to all the organs, agencies, and entities of the Organization that, in presenting their annual reports, they must take into account the provisions of prior General Assembly resolutions, in particular resolutions AG/RES. 1452 (XXVII-O/97), AG/RES. 1669 (XXIX-O/99), AG/RES. 1839 (XXXI-O/01), AG/RES. 1853 (XXXII-O/02), and AG/RES. 1883 (XXXII-O/02).
6. To recognize the important activities carried out by the Inter-American Council for Integral Development (CIDI) and its subsidiary bodies; and to request it to continue promoting hemispheric dialogue and to redouble its efforts to promote partnership for development among the member states to support their integral development and, in particular, to contribute to the elimination of poverty.
7. To underscore the important activities conducted by the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) in fulfillment of its purposes and objectives.
8. To commend the Inter-American Commission of Women (CIM) for its 75 years of service in promoting women’s rights in the Americas; and to support its efforts to implement the Inter-American Program on the Promotion of Women’s Human Rights and Gender Equity and Equality, especially its collaboration on the gender mainstreaming project at the OAS General Secretariat.
9. To renew its recognition of the Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture (IICA) and to encourage it to continue its efforts to support the member states in their quest for progress and prosperity in the Hemisphere, through the rural sector, promotion of food security, and development of a competitive, technologically trained, environmentally managed, and socially equitable agricultural sector for the peoples of the Americas.
10. To renew its recognition of the Inter-American Telecommunication Commission (CITEL) for its important activities in pursuit of its purposes and objectives and in fulfillment of the Summits of the Americas mandates.
11. To commend the Inter-American Children’s Institute (IACI) for its projects now in execution under the Strategic Plan 2000-2004; and to urge it to continue its efforts to increase funding for the projects agreed upon in that plan.
12. To recognize the work of the Inter-American Indian Institute (III); and to express the support of the member states for its restructuring process, taking into account the importance of indigenous issues on the OAS agenda.
13. To underscore the efforts of the Justice Studies Center of the Americas (JSCA) to generate and disseminate instruments to improve awareness of justice in the Americas; and to express its satisfaction with the measures taken to increase cooperation and the exchange of experiences among key actors in the justice sector at the regional level.
14. To recognize the important activities carried out by the Administrative Tribunal of the OAS.