AG/RES. 1927 (XXXIII-O/03)
STUDY OF THE RIGHTS AND THE CARE OF PERSONS UNDER ANY FORM OF DETENTION OR IMPRISONMENT
(Resolution adopted at the fourth plenary session, held on June 10, 2003)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
HAVING SEEN the Annual Report of the Permanent Council to the General Assembly (AG/doc.4156/03 add. 3) and resolution AG/RES. 1897 (XXXII-O/02);
TAKING INTO ACCOUNT:
That consultations with the member states on this subject have continued within the Committee on Juridical and Political Affairs and that a number of them have replied to the questionnaire prepared for that purpose (CP/CAJP-1853/01 rev. 1);
The presentation given on December 12, 2002, by the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights to the Committee on Juridical and Political Affairs (CP/CAJP-2007/02), pursuant to resolution AG/RES. 1897 (XXXII-O/02); and
That the Fourth Meeting of Ministers of Justice or of Ministers or Attorneys General of the Americas heard proposals for drafting a document to protect the fundamental rights of detained persons (REMJA-IV/doc.24/02 rev. 2),
1. To instruct the Permanent Council to continue to study the question of the rights and the care of persons under any form of detention or imprisonment, in cooperation with the competent organs and agencies of the inter-American system and taking into account the conclusions and recommendations of the meeting of authorities responsible for penitentiary and prison policies as expressed in the Recommendations and Conclusions of the Fourth Meeting of Ministers of Justice or of Ministers or Attorneys General of the Americas.
2. To urge those member states that have not already done so to reply as soon as possible to the questionnaire entitled: “Study of the Rights and the Care of Persons under Any Form of Detention or Imprisonment” (CP/CAJP-1853/01 rev. 1).
3. To request the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights to report on the situation of persons under any form of detention or imprisonment in the Hemisphere, using as a basis its work on the subject.
4. To reiterate to the Permanent Council that, on the basis of the discussions held and the studies conducted, it should consider the advisability of preparing, in due course, an inter-American declaration on the rights and the care of persons under any form of detention or imprisonment.
5. To request the Permanent Council to report to the General Assembly at its thirty-fourth regular session on the implementation of this resolution.