AG/RES. 1923 (XXXIII-O/03)
PREPARATIONS FOR THE SEVENTH INTER-AMERICAN SPECIALIZED CONFERENCE ON PRIVATE INTERNATIONAL LAW
(Resolution adopted at the fourth plenary session, held on June 10, 2003)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
HAVING SEEN the Annual Report of the Permanent Council to the General Assembly (AG/doc.4156/03 add. 3), in particular as it pertains to the Inter-American Specialized Conference on Private International Law; and
That the member states of the Organization of American States have confirmed their support for the process of the Inter-American Specialized Conferences on Private International Law (CIDIP), taking into account that such conferences have adopted international instruments that have materially advanced the study of subjects of great utility in the relations and economic development of the region; and
That the member states, in resolution CIDIP-VI/RES. 1/02, requested the General Assembly to convene the Seventh Inter-American Specialized Conference on Private International Law (CIDIP-VII), proposed a list of possible agenda items, and requested the General Secretariat to organize the consultation of governmental and nongovernmental experts to discuss those and other topics for consideration at CIDIP-VII,
1. To convene the Seventh Inter-American Specialized Conference on Private International Law (CIDIP-VII) and instruct the Permanent Council, with the assistance of the General Secretariat, to conduct preliminary consultations concerning the dates and possible venue for CIDIP-VII and to establish mechanisms to facilitate member state consultations on the proposed agenda and draft rules of procedure for CIDIP-VII. This cooperation shall be conducted in keeping with Permanent Council resolution CP/RES. 807 (1307/02), “Update of Costs of Conferences and Meetings Funded by the OAS.”
2. To request the General Secretariat to include, in due course, such items as may be required in the proposed program-budget of the Organization, within available resources, to begin the necessary preparatory work for CIDIP-VII, including consultations with experts.
3. To request the General Secretariat to undertake all necessary activities related to the preparatory phase of CIDIP-VII, including supporting the consultation of governmental and nongovernmental experts, organizing and planning meetings of experts, drafting reports, feasibility studies, and recommendations based on the comments of those experts, helping to finalize the agenda, and providing technical assistance and administrative services when CIDIP-VII is held.
4. To request the General Secretariat to explore means of collaboration with international organizations, including the Hague Conference on Private International Law, the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL), the International Institute for the Unification of Private Law (UNIDROIT), and the Inter-American Development Bank, among others, involved in the process of drafting and promoting international instruments compatible with those developed in the CIDIP process.
5. To request the Inter-American Juridical Committee to continue providing comments and observations concerning an agenda for CIDIP-VII.
6. To request the Permanent Council to report to the General Assembly at its thirty-fourth regular session on the implementation of this resolution.