AG/RES. 1920 (XXXIII-O/03)
HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS: SUPPORT FOR THE INDIVIDUALS, GROUPS, AND CIVIL SOCIETY ORGANIZATIONS WORKING TO PROMOTE AND
PROTECT HUMAN RIGHTS IN THE AMERICAS
(Resolution adopted at the fourth plenary session, held on June 10, 2003)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
HAVING SEEN the Annual Report of the Permanent Council to the General Assembly (AG/doc.4156/03 add. 3), in particular as it pertains to this topic and resolution AG/RES. 1842 (XXXII-O/02), “Human Rights Defenders in the Americas”;
CONCERNED that situations persist in the Americas that directly or indirectly prevent or hamper the work of individuals, groups, or organizations working to promote and protect fundamental rights;
CONSIDERING that member states support the work carried out by human rights defenders and recognize their valuable contribution to the promotion, observance, and protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the Americas, as well as to the representation and defense of individuals, minorities, and other groups of persons whose rights are threatened or violated; and
TAKING INTO ACCOUNT the work accomplished by the Unit for Human Rights Defenders of the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights and the member states’ replies to the questionnaire drawn up by that Unit with a view to preparing a comprehensive report on the subject,
1. To reiterate its support for the work carried out, at both the national and the regional level, by human rights defenders; and to recognize their valuable contribution to the promotion, observance, and protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the Hemisphere.
2. To condemn actions that directly or indirectly prevent or hamper the work of human rights defenders in the Americas.
3. To urge member states to continue stepping up their efforts to adopt the necessary measures to safeguard the lives, freedom, and personal safety of human rights defenders and, in all cases of transgressions against human rights defenders, to conduct thorough and impartial investigations, and to ensure that the findings thereof are transparent and disseminated.
4. To invite the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights to conclude its comprehensive report on the situation of human rights defenders in the Americas, pursuant to resolution AG/RES. 1842 (XXXII-O/02), for presentation to the Permanent Council for its consideration, if possible, in 2003.
5. To request the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights to continue to give due consideration to this matter at the level it deems appropriate, to continue intensifying its dialogue and cooperation with the Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary-General on Human Rights Defenders, and to report to the Permanent Council in due course.
6. To invite member states to promote the dissemination and enforcement of the instruments of the inter-American system and the decisions of its bodies on this matter, as well as the United Nations Declaration on the Right and Responsibility of Individuals, Groups and Organs of Society to Promote and Protect Universally Recognized Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms.
7. To urge those member states that have not yet done so to reply to the questionnaire prepared by the Unit for Human Rights Defenders of the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights.