AG/RES. 1912 (XXXIII-O/03)
INTER-AMERICAN MEETING OF MINISTERS AND HIGH AUTHORITIES OF CULTURE WITHIN THE FRAMEWORK OF CIDI AND CREATION OF THE
INTER-AMERICAN COMMITTEE ON CULTURE
(Resolution adopted at the fourth plenary session, held on June 10, 2003)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
HAVING SEEN Article 77 of the Charter of the Organization and Article 17 of the Statutes of the Inter-American Council for Integral Development; resolution CIDI/RES. 127 (VII-O/02), “First Meeting of Ministers and High Authorities of Culture within the Framework of CIDI”; resolution AG/RES. 1868 (XXXII-O/02), “First Meeting of Ministers and High Authorities of Culture within the Framework of CIDI”; resolution CIDI/RES. 136 (VIII-O/03), “Inter-American Meeting of Ministers and High Authorities of Culture and Creation of the Inter-American Committee on Culture”; and document OEA/Ser. K/XXVII REMIC-1/DEC. 1/02, “Declaration and Plan of Action of Cartagena de Indias”;
BEARING IN MIND:
That the First Meeting of Ministers and High Authorities of Culture was held on July 12 and 13, 2002, in Cartagena de Indias, Colombia, in accordance with resolution CIDI/RES. 109 (VI-O/01), adopted by the Inter-American Council for Integral Development (CIDI) at its sixth regular meeting; and that it approved the Declaration and Plan of Action of Cartagena de Indias;
That in that Plan of Action it was agreed to study the feasibility of establishing an Inter-American Observatory on Cultural Policy;
That the ministers and high government authorities responsible for cultural policy in the Hemisphere, in approving the Plan of Action of Cartagena de Indias, agreed to establish an inter-American committee, within the framework of CIDI, to allow for and facilitate an exchange of views on cultural policy and diversity;
That the Plan of Action of Cartagena de Indias considers it necessary for the Inter-American Committee on Culture to meet on a regular basis, under the auspices of the Organization of American States and with the support of the General Secretariat, to serve as the preparatory body for the ministerial meetings and to provide follow-up to the decisions of those meetings; and
That the draft Rules of Procedure of the Inter-American Committee on Culture have been carefully examined by the responsible authorities of member states and by the Permanent Executive Committee of the Inter-American Council for Integral Development;
That at the Third Summit of the Americas, held in Quebec City, the Heads of State and Government recognized that respect for and enhancement of cultural diversity contribute to social and economic dynamism and are positive factors for the promotion of good governance, social cohesion, human development, human rights, and peaceful coexistence in the Hemisphere; and
That the Government of Mexico offered to host the First Meeting of the Inter-American Committee on Culture, on September 11 and 12, 2003, and the Second Meeting of Ministers and High Authorities of Culture, in June 2004, in Mexico City;
BEARING IN MIND the Strategic Plan for Partnership for Development 2002-2005, which establishes culture as a priority issue; and
RECOGNIZING that culture is interdisciplinary in nature and touches on virtually all spheres of human endeavor, including a number of different social, economic, and political aspects,
1. To take note of the Final Report of the First Meeting of Ministers and High Authorities of Culture (REMIC-I/doc.7/02) and to thank the Government of Colombia for its efforts in organizing and holding that meeting.
2. To create the Inter-American Committee on Culture (CIC) as a committee of the Inter-American Council for Integral Development (CIDI), for the purpose of coordinating implementation of the inter-American ministerial dialogue on culture, providing follow-up to the mandates from the Summits of the Americas and the decisions taken in the sectoral meetings, and serving as a forum for inter-American cooperation in the area of culture.
3. To accept with pleasure the generous offer made by the Government of Mexico to host the First Meeting of the Inter-American Committee on Culture (CIC) on September 11 and 12, 2003, and the Second Meeting of Ministers and High Authorities of Culture on June 28 and 29, 2004, in Mexico City; and to entrust the Permanent Executive Committee of the Inter-American Council for Integral Development with convening those meetings in due course.
4. To instruct the General Secretariat to continue, through the Unit for Social Development and Education, in its capacity as Technical Secretariat, and through the Executive Secretariat of CIDI, providing support for the preparation of meetings in the sectoral area of culture at the ministerial and technical levels, with special attention to the preparation of a feasibility study on the establishment of an Inter-American Cultural Policy Observatory within the framework of the CIC.
5. To instruct the General Secretariat to consider the importance of cultural diversity as a crosscutting theme in the development of its work.
6. To urge the General Secretariat and particularly the Unit for Social Development and Education to work closely with other organs and entities of the Organization of American States and the inter-American system, with a view to advancing dialogue on practical measures to promote and preserve culture.
7. To recommend to member states that, with the support of the Unit for Social Development and Education and in coordination with the Inter-American Agency for Cooperation and Development, they encourage the preparation of multilateral projects and programs relating to the mandates from the Summits of the Americas in the field of cultural diversity.
8. To request CIDI to report to the General Assembly at its thirty-fourth regular session on the implementation of this resolution.