AG/RES. 1847 (XXXII-O/02)
SUPPORT FOR AND FOLLOW-UP TO THE SUMMITS OF THE AMERICAS PROCESS
(Adopted at the fourth plenary session held on June 4, 2002)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
HAVING SEEN the Report of the Permanent Council on Support for and Follow-up to the Summits of the Americas Process 2001-2002 (CP/doc.3594/02), presented pursuant to resolution AG/RES. 1824 (XXX1-O/01);
BEARING IN MIND the Summits initiatives emanating from the First Summit of the Americas (Miami, 1994); the Summit Conference on Sustainable Development (Santa Cruz de la Sierra, 1996); the Second Summit of the Americas (Santiago, 1998); and the Third Summit of the Americas (Quebec City, 2001);
RECALLING that, in resolution AG/RES. 1349 (XXV-O/95), the General Assembly established a Special Committee of the Permanent Council on Inter-American Summits Management, open to all member states, to ensure effective, timely, and appropriate follow-up to the activities assigned to the Organization by the Summit of the Americas and to coordinate OAS preparation, participation, and follow-up with regard to future Summits;
RECOGNIZING that the Special Committee has served as the framework for civil society participation in the Summits of the Americas process;
The mandates set out in the Quebec City Plan of Action in the section on “Follow-up to the Plan of Action”; and
That the Declaration of Quebec City recognizes the significant results of the ministerial meetings held in support of the Summit mandates;
NOTING WITH SATISFACTION the creation of the Joint Summit Working Group, comprised of the Organization of American States (OAS), the Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture (IICA), the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC), the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), the Pan-American Health Organization (PAHO), the Corporación Andina de Fomento, the Caribbean Development Bank, and the Central American Bank for Economic Integration, with the participation of the World Bank; and
RECOGNIZING the importance of coordinated, timely, and effective follow-up to the Quebec City Plan of Action and its predecessors, and of timely, effective support in the preparatory work for the Fourth Summit of the Americas, and the important role of the OAS therein,
1. To renew the mandate to the Permanent Council to coordinate the activities assigned to the Organization of American States by the Summits of the Americas.
2. To instruct the organs, agencies, and entities of the Organization to continue to give top priority to carrying out the initiatives assigned to them by the General Assembly, pursuant to the mandates of the Summits of the Americas, and to report regularly to the Special Committee in this regard.
3. To request the General Secretariat to continue to act, through its Office of Summit Follow-up, as the technical secretariat and institutional memory of the Summits process, in accordance with the Plan of Action of the Quebec City Summit.
4. To instruct the Permanent Council to continue facilitating the participation of civil society in the Summits of the Americas process.
5. To recommend that the Joint Summit Working Group continue to serve as the coordinating mechanism for the institutions supporting the implementation of Summit mandates and to hold at least one high level meeting a year.
6. To request the General Secretariat to continue providing the necessary support to ministerial and sectoral meetings related to the implementation of Summit mandates on topics relevant to the OAS.
7. To instruct the Permanent Council to allocate resources in the program-budget of the Organization that allow for the execution of this resolution, and to instruct the Secretary General to seek additional resources to carry out the activities mentioned in this resolution.
8. To request the Permanent Council to report to the foreign ministers at the thirty-third regular session of the General Assembly on the implementation of this resolution.