AG/RES. 1620 (XXIX-O/99)
PROGRAM OF EDUCATION FOR PEACE IN THE HEMISPHERE
(Resolution adopted at the first plenary session, held on June 7, 1999)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
HAVING SEEN the Annual Report of the Permanent Council (AG/doc.3830/99), and in particular the chapter on hemispheric security relating to the Program of Education for Peace in the Hemisphere (CP/CSH-184/99);
RECALLING its decision set out in resolution AG/RES. 1604 (XXVIII-O/98) to convene a meeting of experts from member states to design a draft Program of Education for Peace in the Hemisphere; and
BEARING IN MIND the recommendations by the Permanent Council with regard to the holding of the aforementioned meeting of experts,
1. To take note of the Report by the Permanent Council and its recommendations related to the Meeting of Experts to Design a Draft Program of Education for Peace in the Hemisphere.
2. To reiterate the importance of a Program of Education for Peace in the Hemisphere as a confidence- and security-building measure.
3. To reiterate its appreciation to the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) for its assistance in the development of this topic and in the holding of the said Meeting of Experts.
4. To thank the Government of Colombia for, and to accept, its generous offer to host the said Meeting of Experts in the city of Cartagena.
5. To set October 14 and 15, 1999 as the dates for the said Meeting of Experts.
6. To approve the following Draft Agenda for the said Meeting of Experts:
"Design a draft Program of Education for Peace in the Hemisphere, taking into account the following:
a. Education and peaceful settlement of conflicts
b. Education and the promotion of democratic values and practices
c. Education and the promotion of peace between states."
7. To invite UNESCO and other pertinent institutions, including the Inter-American Defense College (IADC), the University for Peace, and the Latin American Faculty of Social Sciences (FLACSO), to participate in the said Meeting of Experts.
8. To instruct the Permanent Council to consider, through its Committee on Hemispheric Security, the draft Program on Education for Peace, to be designed by the said Meeting of Experts, and to take action aimed at the implementation of the said Program on Education.
9. To instruct the General Secretariat to continue lending its support to the Permanent Council and the Committee on Hemispheric Security in their execution of the mandates contained in this resolution.