AG/RES. 1435 (XXVI-O/96)
ACTIVITIES IN THE AREAS OF THE INTER-AMERICAN ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL COUNCIL AND THE INTER-AMERICAN COUNCIL FOR EDUCATION, SCIENCE, AND CULTURE IN 1995
(Resolution adopted at the eighth plenary session, held on June 7, 1996)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
HAVING SEEN the observations and recommendations made by the Permanent Council regarding the report on the activities in the areas of the Inter-American Economic and Social Council (CIES) and the Inter-American Council for Education, Science, and Culture (CIECC) in 1995 presented by the Executive Secretariat for Integral Development (AG/doc.3362/96); and
CONSIDERING that the aforementioned report fully complies with the provisions of resolution AG/RES. 331 (VIII-O/78) and with the deadlines established in Article 34.1 of the Rules of Procedure of the Permanent Council,
1. To take note of the Report on the Activities in the Areas of the Inter-American Economic and Social Council (CIES) and the Inter-American Council for Education, Science, and Culture (CIECC) in 1995.
2. To thank the executive secretaries of CIES and CIECC and the chairs of the inter-American committees for their work prior to the establishment of the Inter-American Council for Integral Development (CIDI).
3. To emphasize that one of the purposes of the Organization is to promote friendly relations and mutual understanding among the peoples of the Americas through educational, scientific, technological, cultural, economic, and social exchanges, and that CIES and CIECC have largely fulfilled these purposes.
4. To instruct the Executive Secretariat for Integral Development to take into account, in the activities, plans, and projects carried out by CIDI, the experiences of CIES and CIECC in the field of cooperation.
5. To request CIDI to continue those CIES and CIECC projects and activities that are pending, within the framework of the Integrated Program Guidelines in force.