AG/RES. 1394 (XXVI-O/96)
OBSERVATIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON THE ANNUAL REPORT OF THE INTER-AMERICAN COURT OF HUMAN RIGHTS
(Resolution adopted at the eighth plenary session, held on June 7, 1996)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
HAVING SEEN the observations and recommendations of the Permanent Council on the Annual Report of the Inter-American Court of Human Rights (AG/doc.3335/96 corr. 1) and the presentation of said report to the Permanent Council by the President of the Court; and
That Article 53.f of the Charter of the Organization of American States establishes as a function of the General Assembly consideration of the observations and recommendations made by the Permanent Council with regard to the reports of the organs, agencies, and entities of the Organization, in accordance with Article 90.f of the Charter;
That Article 65 of the American Convention on Human Rights establishes that the Court shall submit a report on its work during the preceding year to the General Assembly for its consideration; and
That the Inter-American Court of Human Rights presented its annual report to the Permanent Council, which forwarded observations and recommendations thereon to the General Assembly,
1. To note with satisfaction the work of the Inter-American Court of Human Rights during the period covered by this report and to urge it to continue fulfilling its important function.
2. To thank the European Union for its contribution to enable the Court to execute the project entitled "Support for the Inter-American Court of Human Rights, Second Stage."
3. To thank the Government of the Netherlands for its donation to the Documentation Center and Joint Library of the Inter-American Court of Human Rights and the Inter-American Institute of Human Rights of 246 volumes of the "Recueil des Cours - Collected Courses" published by the Hague Academy of International Law, as well as of volumes of the discussions of workshops held by the same institution.
4. To support the Inter-American Court of Human Rights in its requests for funds to continue fulfilling the important functions entrusted to it by the American Convention on Human Rights and to formulate the corresponding recommendations.
5. To appeal to the member states of the OAS that have not yet done so to ratify or accede to the American Convention on Human Rights, "Pact of San José," and to consider accepting the compulsory jurisdiction of the Inter-American Court of Human Rights.
6. To receive and transmit to the Inter-American Court of Human Rights the observations and recommendations of the Permanent Council of the Organization on the annual report.
7. To recommend to the Inter-American Court of Human Rights that, in its annual report, in addition to the purpose of its periodic meetings with the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights, it include a detailed account of the results of those meetings.