AG/RES. 1372 (XXVI-O/96)
COOPERATION BETWEEN THE ORGANIZATION OF AMERICAN STATES AND THE UNITED NATIONS SYSTEM
(Resolution adopted at the seventh plenary session, held on June 6, 1996)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
HAVING SEEN the General Secretariat report on the implementation of resolution AG/RES. 1360 (XXV-O/95), "Cooperation between the Organization of American States and the United Nations System" (AG/doc.3323/96 corr. 1),
1. To express its gratification at the steps taken by the Secretary General to strengthen cooperation and coordination between the Organization of American States (OAS) and the United Nations (UN).
2. To express its pleasure with the coordination mechanisms established between the secretariats of the two organizations to simplify and facilitate OAS-UN coordination; to congratulate the Secretary General and the Assistant Secretary General of the OAS on the successful implementation of the coordination mechanisms; and to urge the two secretariats to cooperate even more effectively in the future and to continue to carry out the recommendations of the Third OAS-UN General Meeting.
3. To express particular satisfaction at the successful cooperation between the two organizations within the framework of the joint International Civilian Mission in Haiti (MICIVIH), and at the close and effective coordination of each organization's assistance to the electoral process in Haiti in 1995.
4. To congratulate the two secretariats on the efficient implementation of the recently signed cooperation agreement between the OAS and the UN.
5. To request the OAS Secretary General to continue to use the cooperation framework afforded by the OAS-UN Cooperation Agreement to enhance and promote cooperation between the two organizations within the framework of their respective Charters, and to report to the General Assembly at its twenty-seventh regular session on the implementation of this resolution.