AG/RES. 1371 (XXVI-O/96)
COOPERATION BETWEEN THE GENERAL SECRETARIAT OF THE ORGANIZATION OF AMERICAN STATES AND THE GENERAL SECRETARIAT OF THE CENTRAL AMERICAN INTEGRATION SYSTEM
(Resolution adopted at the seventh plenary session, held on June 6, 1996)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
The Declaration of Principles and the Plan of Action of the Summit of the Americas, signed by the heads of state and government in Miami in December 1994 and, in particular, the commitment they made therein "to support the Central American Alliance for Sustainable Development, which seeks to strengthen those democracies by promoting regional economic and social prosperity and sound environmental management";
The Treaty on Social Integration for Central America and the Framework Treaty on Democratic Security in Central America, signed by the presidents of that region on March 30 and December 15, 1995, respectively, as well as the priorities of the Central American Alliance for Sustainable Development and its Basic Plan of Action, adopted on December 15, 1995, and the Declaration and Regional Plan of Action for Tourism Development, adopted by the Central American presidents on May 9, 1996;
Resolution AG/RES. 1 (XX-E/94), "General Policy Framework and Priorities: Partnership for Development," and declaration AG/DEC. 1 (XX-E/94), "Commitment on a Partnership for Development and Struggle to Overcome Extreme Poverty," as well as the Declaration of Montrouis: A New Vision of the OAS, adopted by the General Assembly at its twenty-fifth regular session, held in Montrouis, Haiti;
The Agreement on Cooperative Relations between the General Secretariat of the Organization of American States and the General Secretariat of the Central American Integration System, signed on March 26, 1994;
The results of the First Meeting of Secretariats of Regional and Subregional Integration and Cooperation Organizations, contained in the aide-mémoire of this event, CIES/CEC/GA-14, of March 1995; and
Resolution AG/RES. 1341 (XXV-O/95), "Cooperation between the General Secretariat of the Organization of American States and the General Secretariat of the Central American Integration System,"
1. To take note of the Secretary General's report on the implementation of resolution AG/RES. 1341 (XXV-O/95) (AG/doc.3325/96).
2. To request the General Secretariat, in consultation with the General Secretariat of the Central American Integration System, to continue to prepare for the 1996-97 biennium a cooperation program designed to strengthen the global integration process of sustainable development in Central America, within the framework of the Agreement on Cooperative Relations and in coordination with the programs of the Inter-American Council for Integral Development (CIDI) and to submit it to the appropriate body as soon as possible.
3. To instruct the Secretary General, within the framework of the regional operations of CIDI, to take appropriate measures to expand cooperation between the Organization of American States and the Central American Integration System (SICA) and between its specialized agencies and the integration institutions and to convene a meeting in 1996 to explore the most effective ways to do so.
4. To request the General Secretariat of the Organization of American States, in consultation with the General Secretariat of SICA, to make every effort to attain the objectives set forth in the Central American Alliance for Sustainable Development.
5. To reiterate the advisability of holding meetings between the general secretariats of the two organizations for the purpose of coordinating and evaluating the implementation of the Agreement on Cooperative Relations, program preparation and execution, and relations between the two secretariats.
6. To request the Secretary General to present a report on the implementation of this resolution to the General Assembly at its next regular session.