AG/RES. 1366 (XXVI-O/96)
CELEBRATION OF THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE ORGANIZATION OF AMERICAN STATES
(Resolution adopted at the sixth plenary session, held on June 5, 1996)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
HAVING SEEN the Report of the Permanent Council on Commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of the Organization (AG/doc.3348/96);
BEARING IN MIND the purposes and principles enshrined in the Charter of the Organization of American States (OAS);
MINDFUL of the need for member states to pursue their efforts to accomplish those purposes and objectives in behalf of the peoples of the Americas and for the role of the OAS as the primary political forum of the Hemisphere to be enhanced;
That, with the increasing participation of all member states, the Organization has been meeting the needs and challenges that have arisen in the Hemisphere; and
That the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the OAS is a fitting opportunity to reaffirm the purposes and principles of the Organization and to promote its institutional renewal to meet the new challenges of the next century; and
RECALLING that the Government of Colombia has offered to host the event commemorating the 50th anniversary of the OAS,
1. To thank the Government of Colombia for its offer to host the commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the OAS and to accept that offer.
2. To instruct the Permanent Council, through the Working Group to Prepare for the Celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the OAS, to draw up a plan of activities for that celebration, including programs, seminars, cultural events, publications, and commemorative contests.
3. To authorize the Permanent Council to adopt and proceed to implement a detailed plan of activities during the second half of 1996.
4. To invite member states of the Organization that so desire to establish and set in motion national committees to promote local activities, drawing on the broadest possible participation, to commemorate the 50th anniversary and, where appropriate, facilitate coordination between the OAS and its member states on the preparation of activities.
5. To invite the various agencies that make up the inter-American system to play an active role in the preparations for and commemoration of the 50th anniversary, in conjunction with the Working Group of the Permanent Council.
6. To instruct the Permanent Council, in view of the need to work on preliminary activities as of this year up to the celebration in 1998 as well as the limited funds available in the Regular Fund, to consider, through the Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Affairs, how to finance the execution of the plan of activities to be presented by the Working Group to Prepare for the Celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Organization of American States.
7. To request the Permanent Council to submit a report on the implementation of this resolution to the General Assembly at its twenty-seventh regular session.