AG/RES. 1761 (XXX-O/00)
6 June 2000
THE MODEL OAS GENERAL ASSEMBLY PROGRAM
(Resolution adopted at the fourth plenary session, held on June 6, 2000)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
CONSIDERING that the Model OAS General Assembly Program (MOAS Program) of the General Secretariat of the Organization of American States (General Secretariat) is designed to promote greater awareness of the OAS among high school and university students in OAS member states;
RECOGNIZING the importance of making the MOAS Program accessible to high school and university students throughout the Hemisphere;
WELCOMING the holding, for the first time, of the regular session of the MOAS General Assembly for universities outside OAS headquarters;
NOTING the contribution of the Government of Canada, which made possible the holding of the twentieth regular session of the Model OAS General Assembly for universities at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada in March 2000;
BEARING IN MIND:
That the MOAS Inter-American Studies Foundation (the Foundation), a non-profit corporation, was established with the main objective of increasing the resources available for the MOAS Program, including creating MOAS Chapters in OAS member states and providing financial assistance to low-income students for their participation in the MOAS General Assemblies;
That in October 1996, the General Secretariat entered into a Cooperation Agreement with the Foundation (CP/INF. 4047/96) with the goal of solidifying future support from the private sector and the General Secretariat for the MOAS Program; and
AWARE that additional funding is necessary for the continued holding of regular sessions of the MOAS General Assembly for universities outside OAS headquarters,
1. To encourage member states to continue to support the MOAS Program.
2. To encourage member states to host the regular sessions of the MOAS General Assembly for Universities.
3. To encourage member states to make voluntary contributions to the Foundation to assist in financing the infrastructure and logistical support needed to host the regular sessions of the MOAS General Assembly for Universities.
4. To request that the Secretary General invite Permanent Observers and donor organizations to contribute to the Foundation.
5. To instruct the Secretary General to report to the General Assembly at its thirty-first regular session on the implementation of this resolution.