AG/RES. 1722 (XXX-O/00)
5 June 2000
PARLIAMENTARY NETWORK OF THE AMERICAS
(Resolution adopted at the first plenary session, held on June 5, 2000)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
HAVING SEEN the report of the Permanent Council on the topic "Parliamentary Network of the Americas" (CP/CAJP-1672/00), presented in fulfillment of resolution AG/RES. 1673 (XXIX-O/99) (CP/doc.3332/00);
The Declaration of Santiago of the Second Summit of the Americas, which reaffirms the willingness of the Heads of State and Government to enhance dialogue and inter-American cooperation in a spirit of cooperation and solidarity; and
The mandates contained in resolutions AG/RES. 1599 (XXVIII-O/98) and AG/RES. 1673 (XXIX-O/99), "Parliamentary Network of the Americas";
HAVING EXAMINED the report of the Secretary General on the implementation of resolution AG/RES. 1673 (XXIX-O/99) and its attachments (CP/CAJP-1663/00); and
CONSIDERING that, in the inter-American context, the interparliamentary dialogue plays an important part in promoting, inter alia, mutual awareness and cooperation through the exchange of experience on matters of common interest,
1. To express its pleasure at the holding of the meeting of chairs of the foreign affairs committees or equivalent bodies of the national congresses or parliaments of the OAS member states, at OAS headquarters, on March 29 and 30, 2000.
2. To take note of the report of the Secretary General on the implementation of resolution AG/RES. 1673 (XXIX-O/99) and its attachments (CP/CAJP-1663/00).
3. To note with satisfaction the decision of the legislators to hold the meeting "Interparliamentary Forum of the Americas" in Canada, before the Summit of the Americas to be held in Quebec City, Canada, in April 2001.
4. To request the General Secretariat to offer, taking into account budgetary constraints and the priorities established by the Permanent Council, technical advice in the preparatory work for the meeting mentioned in the preceding paragraph, mindful that on this occasion the legislators will consider, among other matters, the question of a possible tie with the Organization.
5. To instruct the Secretary General to keep the Permanent Council informed with respect to the implementation of this resolution and report thereon to the General Assembly at its thirty-first regular session.