AG/RES. 1708 (XXX-O/00)
5 June 2000
PROPOSED AMERICAN DECLARATION ON THE RIGHTS OF INDIGENOUS POPULATIONS
(Resolution adopted at the first plenary session, held on June 5, 2000)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
RECALLING its resolutions AG/RES. 1022 (XIX-O/89), AG/RES. 1479 (XXVII-O/97), AG/RES. 1549 (XXVIII-O/98), and AG/RES. 1610 (XXIX-O/99);
BEARING IN MIND the guidelines for civil society participation in OAS activities, approved by the Permanent Council in its resolution CP/RES. 759 (1217/99);
CONVINCED that the adoption of a declaration on the rights of indigenous populations will enhance the recognition, promotion, and protection of the rights of those populations, and will contribute to the development of pertinent activities by the Organization of American States in this area;
CONSIDERING that, in accordance with resolution AG/RES. 1610 (XXIX-O/99), the Working Group to Prepare the Proposed American Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Populations met from November 8 to 12, 1999; and
HAVING STUDIED the report of the Chair of the Working Group to Prepare the Proposed American Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Populations (GT/DADIN/doc.5/99),
1. To request that the Permanent Council renew the mandate of the Working Group so that it may continue to consider the Proposed American Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Populations and hold at least its second meeting before the thirty-first regular session of the General Assembly, in accordance with resources allocated in the program-budget and other resources.
2. To recommend to the Working Group that it follow the procedures agreed upon for suitable participation in its work by representatives of indigenous communities, so that their observations and suggestions may be considered.
3. To request that the Inter-American Indian Institute and the Inter-American Juridical Committee continue to advise the Working Group as necessary.
4. To request also that the General Secretariat publicize the efforts of the Working Group as necessary and consider the necessary measures to promote more representative involvement in the Working Group by the Hemisphere's indigenous community organizations.
5. To request that the Permanent Council present a report to the General Assembly at its thirty-first regular session on the implementation of this resolution.