AG/RES. 1707 (XXX-O/00)
5 June 2000
THE ORGANIZATION OF AMERICAN STATES AND CIVIL SOCIETY
(Resolution adopted at the first plenary session, held on June 5, 2000)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
HAVING SEEN the report of the Permanent Council on the implementation of General Assembly resolutions AG/RES. 1661 (XXIX-O/99), "The Organization of American States and Civil Society," and AG/RES. 1668 (XXIX-O/99), "Strengthening Cooperation between Governments and Civil Society," contained in document CP/doc.3318/00;
The establishment, in 1999, of the Committee on Civil Society Participation in OAS Activities, under the aegis of the Permanent Council; and
The mandate of the Permanent Council contained in the aforementioned resolution regarding the preparation and adoption, before December 31, 1999, of guidelines for civil society participation in OAS activities;
NOTING WITH SATISFACTION that on December 15, 1999, the Permanent Council adopted resolution CP/RES. 759 (1217/99), which contains guidelines for the participation of civil society organizations in OAS activities; and
The growing importance of the role of civil society organizations in the public life of all member states of the Organization of American States; and
The significant contribution of civil society organizations to the activities of the Organization of American States and of the related organs and agencies of the inter-American system,
1. To endorse the Guidelines for the Participation of Civil Society Organizations in OAS Activities (the Guidelines) approved by the Permanent Council on December 15, 1999 [CP/RES. 759 (1217/99)], noting in particular the functions assigned to the Committee on Civil Society Participation in OAS Activities (the Committee) and the General Secretariat.
2. To take note of the register of civil society organizations (CSOs), in accordance with the procedures established in the Guidelines.
3. To instruct the General Secretariat to continue to take the necessary steps for the implementation and dissemination of the Guidelines.
4. To reiterate the importance of collaboration between governments and CSOs and, in that context, once again to encourage them to continue to strengthen cooperation at national, state, provincial, and municipal levels.
5. Also to reiterate the mandates assigned to the General Secretariat in resolution AG/RES. 1668 (XXIX-O/99), and to request it to report, if applicable, to the Permanent Council, through the Committee, on the implementation of that resolution.
6. To instruct the Permanent Council to report to the General Assembly at its thirty-first regular session on CSO participation in the context of the Guidelines and on the implementation of this resolution.