AG/RES. 1703 (XXX-O/00)
5 June 2000
SPECIAL PROGRAM OF SUPPORT FOR GUATEMALA
(Resolution adopted at the first plenary session, held on June 5, 2000)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
HAVING SEEN the report of the Secretary General on the Special Program of Support for Guatemala (CP/doc.3298/00);
That the peace agreements signed in Guatemala City on December 29, 1996, put an end to over three decades of internal armed conflict; and
The firm commitment of the Government of Guatemala to adopt the accords as a matter of state policy, so as to continue to strengthen peace, national reconciliation, and democracy in Guatemala;
BEARING IN MIND the solidarity of the international community, expressed in its commitment to continue supporting Guatemala in its efforts to carry out those accords fully; and
TAKING INTO ACCOUNT the progress made toward implementing the accords, especially in the area of human rights, which are essential to strengthening peace and democracy, and in other areas of paramount importance, in accordance with the decisions set forth by the General Assembly in its resolution AG/RES. 1672 (XXIX-O/99),
1. To laud the efforts of the Government of Guatemala and the progress made in fulfilling the commitments of the peace accords, which have materialized in the form of projects to foster dialogue and negotiation, to promote democratic values and political leadership, to strengthen legislative action by the state, to encourage civic participation at the national level, and to lessen the threat and danger posed by explosive devices and antipersonnel mines, thereby reclaiming farmland and ranchland in the affected areas.
2. To convey to the Government of Guatemala its pleasure at the achievements made in the area of human rights, which have been acknowledged by the organs of the inter-American and international systems.
3. To instruct the General Secretariat to continue to support the efforts to strengthen democracy and peace, to rebuild, and to achieve reconciliation in Guatemala, through the Special Program of Support for Guatemala, adopted by the General Assembly in resolution AG/RES. 1378 (XXVI-O/96), and through the components of the Program, within resources allocated in the program-budget and other resources.
4. To acknowledge in particular the Governments of the United States of America, Denmark, the Netherlands, Norway, the United Kingdom, and Sweden, the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), and the Soros-Guatemala Foundation for their financial contributions to the various components of the Special Program of Support for Guatemala.
5. To renew its request to the General Secretariat to continue its coordination with the United Nations General Secretariat and with other international organizations for the purposes of this resolution.
6. To request the international community to continue its financial assistance to projects under the Special Program of Support for Guatemala.
7. To request the General Secretariat to report on the fulfillment of this resolution to the General Assembly at its thirty-first regular session.