5 June 2000
SCALE OF QUOTA ASSESSMENTS FOR THE REGULAR FUND
(Adopted at the first plenary session, held on June 5, 2000,
pending review by the Style Committee)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
HAVING SEEN the Permanent Council's report on the study on the scale of quota assessments by which member states contribute to financing the Regular Fund (CP/doc /00), mandated in resolution AG/RES. 1594 (XXVIII-O/98), and reiterated in resolutions AG/RES. 2 (XXV-E/98) and AG/RES. 1697 (XXIX-O/99);
CONSIDERING the wish expressed by member states in resolution AG/RES. 1594 (XXVIII-O/98) that the following factors be taken into account when determining the scale of quota assessments: "the ability of the respective countries to pay and their determination to contribute in an equitable manner to the maintenance of the Organization, as stated in Article 55 of the Charter; all relevant resolutions to date; the need to maintain the maximum quota at a level of no more than 59.47%; the need to establish a minimum quota; and the experiences of other international organizations, including the United Nations";
RECOGNIZING that, since 1981, OAS quotas have ceased to be determined on the basis of objective criteria and that, for most of this time, they have been frozen, all of which has introduced distortions, and that, therefore, the current scale does not adequately reflect the member states' ability to pay;
CONSIDERING that the CAAP report to the Permanent Council recognizes the need to return to a system that would, in the future, allow for a gradual annual adjustment of the quota assessment scale that reflects the member states' ability to pay;
CONSIDERING the need to use the most recent quota scale of the United Nations as the basis for establishing the OAS quotas; and
BEARING IN MIND that the UN must approve a new scale of quotas for 2001-2003 at the end of this year,
- To take note of the Permanent Council's report on the study of the scale of quota assessments by which member states contribute to financing the Regular Fund (document CP/doc /00).
- To adopt at its thirty-first regular session a quota assessment scale which is fair and equitable and which adequately reflects the member states ability to pay.
- To establish that the scale of quota assessments for the OAS for 2002-2004 shall:
- Be determined by using as a basis the scale approved by the United Nations for 2001-2003;
- Be adjusted in accordance with the discussions carried out in the Permanent Council and the views expressed by the heads of delegation in the dialogue on this issue; and
- Be set using a minimum and maximum level of individual quotas, to be agreed upon by the Permanent Council before December 1, 2000.
- To instruct the General Secretariat to present to the Permanent Council, within 60 days following UN approval of its new scale of quotas for 2001-2003, a proposal for the establishment of OAS quotas for 2002-2004.
- To instruct the Permanent Council to submit to the thirty-first regular session of the General Assembly a proposal for the OAS scale of quota assessments for 2002-2004.