Pan American Union
The International Union of American Republics was
established in 1890 with the International Bureau of the American
Republics as its official agency.
In 1910 at the 4th International Conference of American
States, its name was changed to Union of American Republics, and that of
the official agency to PAN AMERICAN UNION.
In 1948 the 9th International Conference of American
States in Bogotá approved the Charter of the Organization of American
States and the Pan American Union was designated its Secretariat.
When the Protocol of Buenos Aires, approved at the 3rd
Special Inter-American Conference in 1967, entered into force in
February, 1970, the Pan American Union became the General Secretariat of
the Organization of American States.