3. Capital: Washington, District of
4. Population Of Capital: 572,000*
5. Language: English 82.1%, Spanish 10.7%, other
Indo-European 3.8%, Asian and Pacific Island 2.7%, other 0.7% (2000
census); note: Hawaiian is an official language in the state of Hawaii
6. Date of OAS membership: 1948
7. Geography: The United States is located in North America,
bordering both the North Atlantic Ocean and the North Pacific Ocean and
the Caribbean Sea. Canada lies to the north, and Mexico, to the south.
8. Climate: The U.S. climate is mostly temperate, but the country is
so vast that weather varies greatly between regions. In Hawaii and
Florida the climate is tropical, while in Alaska, it is arctic. In the
Great Plains, west of the Mississippi River, the climate is semiarid;
whereas in the Great Basin of the southwest, it is arid.
* Source: Permanent Mission of
the United States to the OAS.